Film Industry: I, Daniel Blake

1) What is independent cinema and how is it different to Hollywood blockbusters?

An independent film, independent movie, indie film, or indie movie is a feature film or short film that is produced outside the major film studio system, in addition to being produced and distributed by independent entertainment companies (or, in some cases, distributed by major companies).

2) What is I, Daniel Blake about?
To spread an awareness and help others out. 

3) Who directed I, Daniel Blake and why is this important?

I, Daniel Blake is a 2016 drama film written by Paul Laverty and directed by Ken Loach. The film stars Dave Johns as Daniel Blake, a middle-aged man who is denied Employment and Support Allowance despite being declared unfit to work by his doctor.

4) How was I, Daniel Blake promoted to an audience? List at least three different methods used by the film's marketing campaign and how they targeted their audience.

-Organise free (or ‘pay what you can’) screenings and talks in community centres across the UK to build local enthusiasm for the film’s message.

-Film was premiered not in London, but Newcastle (where the film is set) to gain local support. 

-Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn attended the London premiere and people that had been denied benefit payments were asked to placard the event.

5) What unusual or creative marketing methods were used to get audiences talking about the film?

They used quotes in the I, Daniel Blake trailer  however in Hollywood movies you won't find any quotes in the trailer. 

6) What was the estimated production budget for I, Daniel Blake and how much did it make at the box office?

I, Daniel Blake production budget was £2 million however they made £11 million at the box office.

7) How can independent films like I, Daniel Blake compete with Hollywood blockbusters like Black Widow?

It has a low budget then the Hollywood blockbuster which has a high budget. The I, Daniel Blake is more likely to target the adult/elder audience but the Hollywood blockbuster movie is more likely yo target family and teens

8) In your opinion, was I, Daniel Blake a success?

I think that I, Daniel Blake was a success as it made 5 times the production budget which was £2 million and they made after the film is £11 million 

Comments